Public Affairs Manager, CT
O: (860) 570-4319
C: (860) 965-6161
AAA Travel on Hurricane Alert
Offering Travel Tips and Monitoring situation for clients in - or headed for – Hawaii
With Hurricane Lane headed for Hawaii, AAA Travel is monitoring the situation for its own clients and encouraging other travelers who are headed there to understand their options.
“When weather impacts travel plans, many airlines will waive change fees,” says Suzanne Aresco, Regional Director of AAA Travel. “But it is critical that individuals who are not working with an agent reach out to their airlines, hotels, cruise lines and tour operators to see what flexibility, if any, they might offer”.
AAA Travel has clients in Hawaii at this time as well as clients with travel booked to Hawaii in the coming days. As with every weather event or potential disruption to travel, we will work with our clients as necessary to meet their needs and ensure their safety.
“At any time of year, the decision to travel or to stay home is a personal one. Travelers are encouraged to be well informed and well prepared not just for weather woes, but for any issue that might arise”, Aresco says.
AAA offers the following Tips for Safe Travel:
- Stay abreast of local forecasts, both at your departure city and your destination.
- Check your airline flight status before leaving for the airport.
- Check with your hotel for local updates on the storm’s impact.
- Monitor weather conditions on a regular basis as things can change quickly.
- Carry important numbers with you for any one you might need to contact in the event of an emergency or delay
- Pack “emergency” creature comforts with you like snacks, raincoats and extra clothing, etc..
- Heed all evacuation advisories and/or orders.
- Carry enough medication for two to three times the length of your trip – If flying, always keep medication in carry-on luggage.
- Purchase travel insurance and know what you are getting – Traditional travel insurance policies are valuable for a variety of travel situations, however, they do not cover acts of God and are, therefore, no help for travelers facing storm related cancellations. Select travel packages, however, allow vacationers to cancel their trip with no questions asked as long as the required notice is provided and the insurance is booked at the time of deposit on the vacation.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAHartfordNews
CT Mailing Address:
815 Farmington Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06119
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 58 million members nationwide and more than one million members in Connecticut. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.aaa.com.