Public Affairs Specialist, OH
O: (513) 762-3105 ext. (5503105)
C: (513) 401-4911
CINCINNATI, Oh. (October 15, 2018)— Old Man Winter is planning an early visit to the tristate area with the National Weather Service predicting the first frost and freezing of the season. AAA is expecting the first major wave of cold-weather related emergency calls tomorrow and is encouraging motorists to prepare now to ensure a smooth morning commute.
“AAA recommends motorists use a simple checklist to determine their vehicle’s fall and winter maintenance needs, ” said Jenifer Moore, AAA spokeswoman. “Many of the items on the list can be inspected by a car owner in less than an hour, but others should be performed by a certified technician.”
October is Car Care Month, and AAA is offering the following services and specials at all AAA Bob Sumerel Tire & Auto locations to help drivers prepare for winter. AAA Membership is not required.
- Free battery checks
- Free preventative maintenance checks
- Free tire pressure checks
- $99.99 Vehicle Winterization Package* (*may require an appointment)
AAA recommends the following tips for motorists:
- Check the vehicle battery as cold temperatures can reduce the cranking power of the battery. An average car battery lasts 3-5 years.
- Check the vehicle’s tire pressure to ensure proper inflation. (Proper cold weather tire pressure can be found in the vehicle manual or on a sticker inside the driver’s door).
- Check vehicle fluids (oil levels, brake fluid, and coolant)
- Prepare a winter emergency kit. A winter emergency kit should include the following:
- Mobile phone pre-programmed with rescue apps and important phone numbers including family and emergency services, and car charger
- Drinking water
- First-aid kit
- Non-perishable snacks for both human and pet passengers
- Bag of abrasive material (sand, salt, cat litter) or traction mat
- Snow shovel
- Extra warm clothing (coat, gloves, hats, scarves)
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Window washer solvent
- Ice scraper with brush
- Cloth or roll of paper towels
- Jumper cables
- Warning devices (flares or triangles)
- Basic toolkit (screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench)
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 59 million members nationwide and more than three million members in Ohio. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. AAA is a non-stock, non-profit corporation working on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com.