Public Affairs Specialist, OH
O: (513) 762-3105 ext. (5503105)
C: (513) 401-4911
CINCINNATI, Oh. (December 17, 2018)–It is truly a season of giving for Ohioans as gas prices in the state have dropped more 35-cents over the last month.
The current average price for regular gas in Ohio is $2.07, 12-cents less on the week and 37-cents less than a month ago placing the state among the top 10 in the country for least expensive gas.
Cincinnati-area drivers are seeing lower pump prices as well with the current average for regular gas landing at 2.16, 17-cents less than a week ago and 34-cents less than a month.
“This trend of cheaper pump prices is welcome news for many as AAA expect roads to be busy starting this week with holiday travel,” said Jenifer Moore, AAA spokeswoman. “No doubt cheaper gas prices are fueling their decision to hit the road.
At $2.37, the national gas price average continues to drive toward the cheapest pump prices seen during the month of December since 2016.
The national average is a nickel less than last week, 26-cents less than last month and six-cents less than a year ago. With gasoline production on the high side – 10 million b/d - amid low demand, motorists can expect gas prices to continue declining through year-end.
- The nation’s top 10 least expensive markets are: Missouri ($1.96), South Carolina ($2.03), Oklahoma ($2.04), Arkansas ($2.04), Alabama ($2.05), Louisiana ($2.05), Texas ($2.05), Mississippi ($2.06), Kansas ($2.06) and Ohio ($2.07).
- The nation's top 10 largest weekly decreases are: Ohio (-12 cents), Indiana (-9 cents), Idaho (-9 cents), Montana (-9 cents), Michigan (-9 cents), Colorado (-8 cents), Illinois (-8 cents), Washington (-7 cents), Utah (-7 cents) and Hawaii (-6 cents).
AAA Members save at Shell through the Fuel Rewards® Program
AAA members can now save up to five cents per gallon through December 31, 2019, when filling up at participating Shell branded stations across the U.S. through the Fuel Rewards® program.
AAA members just need to sign-up at AAA.com/Shell to reap the benefits of this new Discount and Reward program.
An added benefit, members registering for the first time in the Fuel Rewards® program will save 25 cents per gallon on their first fill-up through January 31, 2019. Before providing payment when fueling up, members will see prices roll back at the pump when they enter their Fuel Rewards® Alternative ID, which they use to join, typically a phone number.
Winter Fuel & Driving Tips
As you hit the road this winter, AAA offers these tips to help conserve fuel and keep motorists safe:
- Vehicles do not require a long period of time to warm up. If possible, only run the engine and heater long enough to remove the chill. This will help to conserve fuel. Also, parking your car in a garage will help it stay warm.
- As a precaution, keep at least half a tank of fuel in your vehicle at all times. It helps to reduce condensation in the fuel system. It also helps ensure an adequate reserve of fuel to run the engine for heat should your car become disabled in a remote location.
- Be sure to pack an emergency roadside kit in your car containing a mobile phone and car charger, first-aid kit, blankets, drinking water and snacks, a flashlight with extra batteries, a basic toolkit, warning flares, an ice scraper, jumper cables and a shovel.
Motorists can find current gas prices at GasPrices.AAA.com and along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel and access AAA roadside assistance. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile.
AAA provides automotive, travel, and insurance services to 59 million members nationwide and more than three million members in Ohio. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. AAA is a non-stock, non-profit corporation working on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel, and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app (AAA.com/mobile) for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com