Public Relations Manager, PA
O: (302) 299-4426
C: (302) 353-6563
Sr. Public Aff. Specialist, CT/DE/NJ/PA
O: (302) 299-4168
C: (610) 291-7312
AAA Mid-Atlantic: Drivers Urged to Use Caution as Remnants of Hurricane Florence Bring Soaking Rain to the Region
PHILADELPHIA, PA (September 18, 2018) The remnants of Hurricane Florence are expected to bring scattered storms and heavy rain to the Philadelphia region throughout the day today, with one to two inches of rain expected. Some of the storms forecasted could bring heavy rain. Some flooding is likely in some areas as the ground is already saturated from previous rain.
AAA urges motorists who are driving in these conditions or plan to drive following these storms to exercise caution as road conditions can change quickly. Always think safety first if you have to drive in rainy weather:
- Avoid driving through standing water and flooded roads. Turn around, don’t drown.Even shallow water can damage and/or disable your vehicle, and floodwaters can rise very quickly. Some of the deaths associated with Hurricane Florence were the result of victims getting stuck in their flooded vehicles or being swept away by fast-moving floodwaters while in their vehicle.
- Avoid driving in storms or high winds.
- Drive with your headlights on using low beams.
- Maintain an extra-large amount of space around your vehicle, and increase your following distance. This will give you more time and room to respond to other drivers’ sudden maneuvers.
- Reduce your speed to account for the reduced tire traction on wet roads.
- If your vehicle starts to hydroplane, gently ease off the accelerator and keep the steering wheel as straight as you can.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, including:
- Mobile phone, car charger and a backup/external charger
- Flashlight with fresh batteries
- Food and water for all passengers, including any pets
- First aid kit
- Emergency lighting/reflective triangles
- Extra clothing and blanket
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAPhillyNews
7777 Brewster Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19159
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 57 million members nationwide and more than three million members in Pennsylvania. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com.