Public Relations Manager, PA
O: (302) 299-4426
C: (302) 353-6563
Sr. Public Aff. Specialist, CT/DE/NJ/PA
O: (302) 299-4168
C: (610) 291-7312
AAA Mid-Atlantic: More Americans Insuring Travel
Trip insurance purchases are up 20 percent - new AAA survey reveals who and why
PHILADELPHIA, PA (August 1, 2018) Summer vacation season is in full swing and many Delaware Valley travelers may have a trip planned before it’s time to head back-to-school. AAA Travel data indicates that the number of travelers who have purchased trip insurance so far this year is up 20 percent over the same time period last year and now, a new AAA survey reveals why.
More people are travelling internationally, at greater expense, so travelers want to know that they won’t lose everything if anything derails their plans.
“More than 30 million family travelers are expected to make international travel plans this year, nine percent more than just two years ago. And, part of their ‘planning’ includes minimizing risk,” says Jana L. Tidwell, manager of Public and Government Affairs for AAA Mid-Atlantic. “The value of travel insurance is that – whether you use it or not - it provides great peace of mind without great expense.”
AAA Travel Survey Stats:
- Nearly 4 in 10 Americans (38 percent) are likely to purchase travel insurance for future international trips.
- For those purchasing insurance, trip cancellation protection is the most valuable benefit
- Almost 9 in 10 (88 percent) say that getting their money back if they cancel a trip, is their top priority.
- The leading factor in deciding whether to purchase travel insurance is the cost of the trip (70 percent), followed by personal or family health concerns (69 percent), and how far in advance the trip is booked (61 percent).
AAA Travel Insurance Sales Up Sharply
AAA’s domestic and international travel insurance sales have increased more than 20 percent this year compared to the same time period last year and there was an increase of 13 percent last year compared to 2016.
In 2017, AAA members insured trips that were approximately 18 percent more expensive than the previous year, according to AAA’s 30-year travel insurance partner Allianz Global Assistance.
“It is important that travelers understand their policies as coverage options vary. Travelers should consult a knowledgeable travel agent to explore their travel insurance options,” Tidwell says.
AAA encourages travelers to keep in mind these advantages of travel insurance to protect their investment in domestic and international trips, as well as cruise vacations.
- You landed, your bags didn’t. Airlines mishandled more than 22 million bags in 2017. Travel insurance can provide coverage to replace needed items if luggage is delayed, damaged or stolen.
- Sick happens. Insurance may help cover medical expenses while traveling, internationally and in the United States. Many hospitals outside of the country require cash payments before providing treatment.
- Health insurance. Most health insurance policies don’t cover international travel. Travel insurance can help cover medical expenses and costly medical evacuation back to the United States in emergencies.
- Flight delays and cancellations. Airlines may not cover all the costs associated with a delayed or cancelled flight. Travel insurance can help reimburse expenses such as rebooking fees, meals and accommodations.
- Economic uncertainties. The loss of a job or other income may mean having to postpone a trip planned in advance. Travel insurance can help travelers recoup their costs when funds are tight.
AAA’s travel insurance research findings are the result of a telephone survey (landline and cell phone) consisting of 1,003 adults living in the continental United States. Interviewing for this survey was conducted June 21-24, 2018. This study has an average statistical error of ±4 percent at the 95 percent confidence level for all U.S. adults.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAPhillyNews
7777 Brewster Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19159
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 57 million members nationwide and more than three million members in Pennsylvania. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com.