DRIVEN TO SUCCESS: AAA Membership is 60 Million Strong
1 in 4 U.S. households belong to North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization
Hamilton, NJ, September 26, 2019 –– AAA has hit the milestone mark of 60 million members, making the motoring and leisure travel organization one of the largest membership associations in North America. Since 1902, AAA has been an iconic brand that evokes feelings of safety, security and peace of mind, with 1 in 40 U.S. households today being proud AAA card-carrying members. This achievement is a result of AAA’s intense focus on meeting members’ evolving needs in an ever-changing technology and travel environment while also staying focused on the qualities on which millions have relied for generations.
- AAA has nearly 2 million members in the state of New Jersey.
- There are more than 5.2 million AAA members in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
- Roadside assistance continues to be a primary reason for members to join AAA, with AAA handling more than 30 million calls a year, nationally.
- The AAA Roadside Rescue Team responded to 560,000 calls in 2018 in the Garden Sate.
- Investing in technology to meet evolving consumer needs has helped spur membership among tech-savvy millennials, who now make up nearly 30 percent of new primary members.
- AAA goes beyond roadside assistance, AAA promotes traffic safety through initiatives such as the ‘Don’t Drive Intoxicated, Don’t Drive Intexticated’ campaign, AAA School Safety Patrol, as well as a variety of teen and senior driving and education presentations.
“AAA is incredibly grateful to each one of our 60 million members and we take their loyalty and trust in us seriously,” said AAA President and CEO Marshall Doney. “For 117 years, we have put members first with unwavering commitment. We will continue to provide them with quality service at the roadside, trusted travel expertise, unparalleled discounts and rewards, and leading traffic safety research and advocacy to ensure that everyone arrives home safely at the end of the day.”
AAA knows innovation is key and strategic adaptation is necessary to stay competitive. Over the last decade, AAA has invested in digital solutions to meet evolving consumer expectations, including the launch of the AAA app, real-time text notifications and tracking en route roadside assistance. AAA has also introduced the ability to use home digital assistants to connect with AAA or request service through third-party apps, like Waze.
“The AAA brand remains strong and relevant,” said AAA Board of Directors Chair Bill Mekrut. “Roadside assistance consistently is members’ primary reason to join – and AAA handles more than 30 million calls a year. Yet, as our members’ way of life evolves, so will AAA with relevant products and services that meet their needs.”
As AAA looks to the future, the organization is exploring new mobility solutions and working to educate our members and others about the exciting possibilities and current limitations of evolving vehicle technologies to help ensure a safe transition to mobility of the future.
“AAA has a reputation as one of America’s most trusted brands and we will continue to live up to this expectation as the association drives toward 70 million members,” concluded Doney.