Manager, Public & Government Affairs
O: (405) 753-8040
C: (405) 488-7611
Senior Specialist, Public & Government Affairs
O: (918) 748-1074
C: (918) 935-9318
October 11, 2019 – Seniors represent the fastest-growing segment of drivers. Current projections suggest that a quarter of all drivers will be over the age of 65 by 2025. Yet, they are the most fragile drivers on the road, resulting in a higher death rate per mile driven than any other group.
To keep senior drivers driving as long as safely possible, AAA Oklahoma, the Broken Arrow Police Department and students from Tulsa Technical College are hosting a FREE CarFit event in Broken Arrow. It will occur Thursday, Oct. 24, 9 a.m. to Noon, in the parking lot of the Towne Centre Shopping Center in front of the AAA Store at 3746 S. Elm Place (101st & Elm) in Broken Arrow.
Appointments are encouraged for the free, 20-minute check and can be made by calling (918) 748-1074. CarFit technicians trained by AAA provide a quick, yet comprehensive 12-point check of how well the senior driver’s car “fits” them. Technicians will check
- steering wheel tilt/position,
- distance the driver sits from the steering wheel,
- line of sight above the steering wheel,
- position of driver to gas/brake pedal and
- mirror settings to eliminate blind spots.
CarFit also provides valuable information to seniors that have difficulty:
- Reaching the shoulder harness and buckling/unbuckling the seat belt
- Getting into and out of a vehicle easily
- Turning their head to look over their shoulder while changing lanes
- Sitting comfortably, without knee, back, hip, neck or shoulder stiffness or pain
Tulsa Tech students will provide participants with free tire, battery and windshield wiper inspections.
Senior Driver Statistics
- Seniors aged 65 and over are more than twice as likely as younger drivers to be killed when involved in a crash.
- In 2017, more than 8,000 senior drivers (aged 66 or older) were injured in crashes. These crashes also injured 2,200 senior passengers.
For more information, visit SeniorDriving.AAA.com