Join AAA
Join AAA


Current news and information regarding government affairs, gas and travel information.

Search below using state and category

Ragina C. Ali
Public Relations Manager, MD
O: (410) 616-1900 (ext. 4361152)
C: (443) 465-5020

The Week

Since Memorial Day, the national average for a gallon of regular gasoline has increased by just one cent. The statewide gas price average in Maryland increased two cents on the week, but is 74 cents lower than one year ago. According to new data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), gasoline demand increased last week, coupled with a 700,000 barrel decrease in total domestic stocks. The national average holding steady means that gas demand and supply are largely in sync, which will likely help to stabilize pump prices for motorists.


The gas price average in Maryland today is $2.01, which is up respectively two cents in the last week and 13 cents in the last month, but down 74 cents from this date last year. 

Today’s national gas price average is $1.97, up three cents in the last week, up 21 cents in the last month and down 84 cents from this time last year.


Regular Unleaded Gasoline




Week Ago


Month Ago


Year Ago


















































































Washington Suburbs

(MD only)










Crude Oil



per barrel




per barrel




per barrel




per barrel




At the close of NYMEX trading Friday, West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil settled at $35.49 per barrel, $2.24 higher than last Friday’s close. Crude prices spiked earlier in the week amid increased market focus on rising demand. However, domestic crude prices ultimately fell after EIA’s weekly report revealed that total domestic crude inventories increased last week. The large increase may be a sign that domestic oil demand could be slowing during a time when it typically grows because of more motorists driving. If domestic crude demand begins to flatten or decrease, crude prices could decrease.


The Weekend

“Area drivers have seen significantly less expensive gas prices for the past two months,” says Ragina C. Ali, Manager of Public and Government Affairs for AAA Mid-Atlantic. “While motorists have begun to see pump prices increase somewhat as of late, AAA does not expect the summer average to be as expensive as last year’s season.”


The Week Ahead

One factor that could send prices higher is a string of severe hurricanes. The 2020 hurricane season begins June 1 and forecasters from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. Storms that hit the Gulf Coast region particularly hard could interrupt supplies and send prices sharply higher, at least temporarily.


AAA has a variety of resources to help motorists save on fuel:


Next Weekend Gas Watch: Friday, June 5, 2020

Follow us on Twitter: @AAAMDNews

Like us on Facebook: AAA Mid-Atlantic News

Mailing Address:
8600 LaSalle Road, Ste 639
Towson, MD 21286

AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to over 60 million members nationwide and nearly 988,000 members in Maryland.  AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years.  The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android.  For more information, visit

Related Articles

public affairs

Keeping Member's interests at the forefront

Contacts by region

fuel price finder

Find the lowest gas price in your area

Find prices

gas information

Tools, tips and other resources

learn more


Local news stories & information

Watch now