Manager, Public and Government Affairs, OH
O: (937) 224-2817
C: (937) 558-8427
TOLEDO, OH - (December 20, 2019) - The holiday season is a perfect time of year to show appreciation for those we count on all year long. Not only do drivers count on vehicles to reliably get them where they want to go, they also need to protect their investment. AAA has some gift ideas for the special vehicle on the shopping list this year.
The maintenance and oil change schedules for newer vehicles on the road today often allows for longer periods of time between “check-ups” and doesn’t offer the chance for trained automotive technicians to spot potential problems. Why not shower some extra attention on your vehicle with a bumper-to-bumper holiday health check-up.
AAA offers these gift ideas for the treasured vehicle in your life:
- Performance Perfection:
- With winter’s onslaught ahead, vehicle coolant is critical to the well-being of the engine. Have levels checked to ensure the coolant in the vehicle can handle sub-zero temperatures.
- Get the battery checked: The life of a typical vehicle battery is three to five years. Batteries older than three years should be checked to prevent drivers from being stranded in the cold. AAA Tire & Auto offers free bumper-to-bumper vehicle checks and membership is not required.
- Keep an eye on tire tread wear and check the air pressure more often in cold weather. Drivers can check and fill tires at all AAA Tire & Auto locations.
- Make sure windshield washer solution is rated for winter conditions. The solutions used during the summer can freeze causing the solution reservoir to crack.
Stocking Stuffer idea: new windshield wiper blades for a clean view in the New Year.
2. Protect the New Car Shine:
- Give it the spa treatment: regular visits to the car wash are the best way to protect vehicle exteriors and interiors. De-icing compounds used to clear snow and ice from the roadways can damage vehicle finishes and also interiors (when tracked inside).
- It’s not just the body, but also the undercarriage that needs attention; be sure to include undercarriage spray in the wash selection.
Stocking Stuffer idea: Search for holiday deals offered at area car washes and stock up to save on weekly car washes
3. Riding to the Rescue:
- Secure a Knight in shining armor: Even with proper maintenance and tender, loving care sometimes vehicle breakdowns are unavoidable . . . . and can also be dangerous. When breakdowns occur AAA reminds drivers to:
- Know your location: At the first sign of trouble, look around to determine the location. Look for mile markers or exit signs on highways, and street signs on surface streets.
- Go right: move vehicle off roadway and as far to the right as possible
- Alert other drivers: turn on vehicle flashers
- Stay put: remain in the vehicle and call for help immediately. When help arrives do not exit the vehicle, wait for the first responder to approach the vehicle with instructions.
Stocking Stuffer idea: AAA gift memberships provide safety and security for drivers, passengers and vehicles. Special holiday offers include free upgrades, half-price associate memberships, discounts on renewals and exclusive pricing for Veterans.
AAA provides automotive, travel, and insurance services to 58 million members nationwide and more than three million members in Ohio. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. AAA is a non-stock, non-profit corporation working on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel, and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app (AAA.com/mobile) for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com.