Public Relations Manager, NJ
O: (609) 570-4131
C: (609) 306-2523
AAA: Resolution to Lock Up Will Save Time, Money and Heartache in the New Year
Hartford, CT, January 4, 2022 – AAA is encouraging vehicle owners to make a New Year’s resolution that, with very little effort, will save them time, money and heartache.
Given that, nationwide, 2020 saw the most vehicle thefts in more than a decade and given that the upward trend continued through 2021, AAA is urging vehicle owners to kick off the New Year by making a resolution to always lock up their vehicles and take the keys.
“There could not be a resolution that takes less time and effort and yet the savings could be dramatic,” says Sonia Medina, spokesperson for AAA Insurance in Greater Hartford. “More often than not, vehicle theft is a crime of opportunity. Lock your car, take your keys and take that opportunity away.”
According to the latest statistics provided by the National Insurance Crime Bureau:
- Across Connecticut, more than 8,500 people reported their vehicles stolen in 2020
- Connecticut saw more than a 40% increase in stolen vehicles in 2020 as compared to 2019
- The top five vehicles reported stolen in Connecticut were:
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Nissan Altima
- Honda CR-V
“We are happy to help clients recover their losses but we’d be even happier if they could help them to avoid the harrowing experience of having their vehicle stolen in the first place by simply removing the keys,” Medina says.
The ‘Cost’ of Stolen Vehicles
In 2020, there were more than 8,500 vehicles stolen across Connecticut. According to AAA Insurance, the average claim for vehicles stolen was more than $5000 per vehicle which may - or may not - be covered by insurance.
“Only comprehensive Insurance policies cover stolen cars,” Medina says. “AAA encourages vehicle owners to review their policies with their advisors to make sure they are covered”.
Auto liability insurance is required in all 50 states, but, AAA says, coverage against theft – the comprehensive coverage – is optional.
AAA Insurance Tips for protecting your car against theft:
- Never leave your vehicle running with the keys in it. Never.
- Never leave your keys in the vehicle – the convenient ‘keyless’ feature is not only convenient for the car owner, it is convenient for the thief who can steal your car with the touch of a button.
- Lock your car – even without the keys, thieves are more likely to steal a car left unlocked
- Park your vehicle in a garage or a well-lit area – at home, at the mall or on the road, always try to park in an area where suspicious activity would be noticeable.
- Keep valuables out of sight
AAA provides automotive, travel, and insurance services to more than 63,000,000 members nationwide and more than 1,000,000 in Connecticut. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. AAA is a non-stock, membership corporation working on behalf of motorists, who can map a route, access a COVID travel restriction map, find local gas prices and electric vehicle charging stations, discover discounts, book a hotel, and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app (AAA.com/mobile) for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information on joining or renewing a Membership, visit www.AAA.com.