More than ‘Mischief’
More Vandalism Claims on Halloween than any other Day of the Year
AAA Insurance has a warning for homeowners. ‘Mischief night’ is not limited to harmless gags …but can actually be extremely costly.
According to the Highway Data Loss Institute, more vandalism claims are filed on October 31 (the day after ‘mischief night’) than any other day of the year.
“Mischief night might mean good clean fun for most people but, unfortunately, there are those who cross the line, doing serious, costly damage to property,” says Greg Lauria, Regional Manager for AAA Insurance. “With all the ghosts and goblins around, best to take every precaution to ensure your home and auto are safe”.
Tips to keep your property safe from mischief:
- Light up the night.
- Ample lighting outside of your home will help keep the creeps away
- Prepare for pranksters. To avoid having your car vandalized or stolen:
- Park in a garage or secure, well-lit area
- Lock vehicle and don’t leave keys or key fob inside
Understand what your insurance covers:
According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowners, renters and auto insurance policies will provide coverage for these Halloween-related mishaps:
- Vandalism. Standard homeowners and renters insurance policies will provide coverage for vandalism. In the event that your car is vandalized, the optional comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy covers damages. Contact your AAA agent to ensure you have the coverage you need and know the dollar limits of your policies.
- Fire. Always play it safe with open flames, but if a Halloween decoration causes a fire and damages your property, your homeowners or renters policy will cover fire-related losses, up to policy limits.
- Injury. You may be covered under the liability portion of your homeowners or renters insurance policy – up to specified limits – in the event that someone is injured on your property. A standard policy also includes no-fault medical coverage – up to specified limits – that allows the injured person to file their claim directly with your insurance company.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAHartfordNews
CT Mailing Address:
815 Farmington Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06119
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 58 million members nationwide and more than one million members in Connecticut. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.aaa.com.