Cold and Costly
AAA Insurance Offers Tips for Homeowners with Frozen/Burst Pipes
The first week of January has been cold and costly for many homeowners across Connecticut who find themselves dealing with damage caused by frozen or burst pipes – and, the thawing that will occur in the next few days could make matters even worse.
“While cold weather is not unexpected in New England, the prolonged stretch of extreme cold has many homeowners paying an unexpected price,” says Greg Lauria, Regional Manager for AAA Insurance. “Knowing what to do when your pipes burst, what your insurance will cover and how to process your claim is key”.
AAA Insurance offers the following tips for those with frozen/burst pipes:
AAA Tips on What to Do First:
- If you discover that pipes are frozen, don’t wait for them to burst. Take measures to thaw them immediately, or call a plumber for assistance.
- If your pipes burst, first turn off the water and then mop up spills. You don’t want the water to do more damage than it already has.
- Call your insurance company claims department as soon as you can. An insurance adjuster doesn’t need to see the spill before you take action. However, he or she will want to inspect any damaged items.
- Make temporary repairs and take other steps to protect your property from further damage. Remove any carpet or furniture that can be further damaged from seepage.
AAA Tips on Managing Your Home Insurance Claims
- Make a list of the damaged articles and take photos.
- Save the receipts for what you spend—including additional living expenses if you must leave your home until repairs are completed—and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.
- Standard homeowners policies will cover most of the kinds of damage that result from a freeze. For example, if house pipes freeze and burst or if ice forms in gutters and causes water to back up under roof shingles and seep into the house. You would also be covered if the weight of snow or ice damages your house.
- If your home sustains water damage, it is important to make sure that it is properly dried and repaired to prevent any potential problem with mold. Remember, mold cannot survive without moisture.
- Check with your agent or company so you’ll be sure what your policy covers.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAHartfordNews
CT Mailing Address:
815 Farmington Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06119
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 58 million members nationwide and more than one million members in Connecticut. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.aaa.com.