Public Affairs Manager, CT
O: (860) 570-4319
C: (860) 965-6161
CT Gas at Tipping Point
Average Price of Gas Statewide May Top $3 this Weekend
The average price of gas across Connecticut will likely top $3 this weekend.
Gas prices nationwide and here in Connecticut have been rising steadily since mid-February, but the price at the pump has spiked in the last month or so, as refineries transition to the more expensive summer blend of gasoline and begin to ramp up for the busy summer driving season.
According to AAA Gas Prices, the national average today for a gallon of regular unleaded gas is $2.88, having increased 23 cents in the past month.
Here in Connecticut, the statewide average is $2.98 a gallon, up more than 10 cents in a week, almost 28 cents in a month – but only about 4 cents higher than it was last year on this same date.
“While an increase in gas prices is not unusual at this time of year, the news is still unwelcomed by motorists, especially as pump prices cross over the $3 threshold,” says Amy Parmenter, spokesperson for AAA in Greater Hartford. “In the past, we have seen prices above $3 influence driver behavior, such as making fewer trips to the grocery store and consolidating errands”.
Prices are expected to continue to rise through Memorial Day weekend and then taper off for the balance of the summer, assuming no weather-related or geo-political related disruptions.
AAA Tips for Saving Money on Gas
- Don't waste money 'treating your vehicle to a higher octane level than required by the car’s manufacturer (regular or premium)
- Observe the speed limit. Not only is it safer, it can help you save money.
- Lose the weight. The heavier your car, the more fuel it uses.
- Accelerate gradually. Avoid jackrabbit starts.
- Drive during cooler parts of the day. Cooler, denser air can boost power and mileage.
- Maintain recommended tire pressure. Low pressure reduces fuel economy and can damage tires.
AAA has a variety of resources to help motorists save on fuel:
- Shell Fuel Rewards Program for AAA Members: (https://www.AAA.com/Shell) gives AAA members nationwide a discount on gasoline at Shell stations when they join the Fuel Rewards® program.
- Fuel Price Finder (https://www.AAA.com/fuelfinder) locates the lowest fuel price in your area.
- AAA Gas Cost Calculator (https://gasprices.aaa.com/aaa-gas-cost-calculator/) helps budget travel expenses.
- TripTik Mobile (https://www.aaa.com/mobile) plots fuel prices along your travel route.
- AAA's Member Rewards Visa® Credit Card (https://www.AAA.com/financial/AAAvisa.htm) accumulates double points on fuel purchases.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAAHartfordNews
CT Mailing Address:
815 Farmington Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06119
AAA provides automotive, travel and insurance services to 58 million members nationwide and more than one million members in Connecticut. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. The not-for-profit, fully tax-paying member organization works on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.aaa.com.