This dessert has been a staple of the main dining room dessert assortment for years, and is among the favorites of repeat cruisers. And who would not want a little Royal Caribbean comfort food at home right about now?
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
BRANDY SNAP INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 Cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- Whipped cream
- 20 strawberries, sliced
- Chocolate ice cream, purchased
- 1 tablespoon chopped, unsalted pistachios
- Mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Coat a 10-inch springform pan with butter and wrap the outside with a double thickness of aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in.
- Over a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter. Do not overheat. Set aside to cool, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer. beat eggs and sugar until creamy Gradually fold the chocolate into egg mixture, then add rum, vanilla extract and coffee.
- Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan and cover with aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up outside of pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool to room temperature in pan, transfer to a wire rack and chill overnight.
- For the Brandy Snap, combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out to 1/4 inch flat on a sheet of parchment paper. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. While still warm, cut into 1 -inch wide strips and roll one end around a shot glass.
- Slice cake and serve on chilled dessert plates, garnished with Brandy Snap, whipped cream. strawberries. a scoop of chocolate ice cream and mint leaf. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.