Cruisers sailing the scenic rivers of Europe with Uniworld are often treated to their delicious French Onion soup. Now you can bring the flavors to your own kitchen!
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 6 large yellow onions (about 4 lbs), halved and cut top to bottom into 1/4-inch slices
- Table salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine (recommended: Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Alsace Gewürztraminer)
- 2 cups water, plus extra for deglazing
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with twine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1 small baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices and toasted on both sides (optional: Top the slices with garlic butter)
- 8 oz shredded Gruyère cheese
Sauté the onions with the butter in a soup pan until the onions are golden brown. Add salt and pepper, and then deglaze with the white wine, water and broth. Add the bay leaf and thyme and let cook slowly for 45 minutes.
Pick out the thyme and bay leaf and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Add the Madeira and pour the soup into soup bowls. Place the baguette slices on top, sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the cheese melts.