- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz canadian bacon, diced
- 5 oz Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ½-in slices sourdough baguette
Place oil in a 1½-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until soft; add cauliflower, carrots and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and simmer. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small skillet; add canadian bacon; sauté until lightly browned; add to soup. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Pour soup into 4 individual ovenproof bowls, topping each with 2 bread slices and one quarter of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and serve immediately.
Prep time: 12 minutes.
Cook time: 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.