With over 2,000 confirmed uses, WD-40 is a nearly magical tool that can solve many household problems. From protecting metal from rust, lubricating almost anything, and removing tricky substances like crayon, gum, wax and residue, WD-40 can be a go-to solution for bikes, cars, and your home.
So, what is WD-40? And what are all its uses? Read on to learn more.
WHAT IS WD-40?
“You only need two things in life: Duct Tape and WD-40. If it moves and shouldn’t, use duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use WD-40.”
WD-40 has been around for 60 years, and its formula remains a secret to this day. The “W-D” stands for water displacement, and the product is a blend of lubricants that contain anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement, and soil removal.
Technically it’s not a grease but is formulated with strong lubricated oils and other ingredients that make it a good product for bike, auto, and home maintenance. It doesn’t attract dirt or moisture and can protect metals from corrosion and rust.
WHAT ARE ALL THE USES FOR WD-40?
If it needs shining, protecting, greasing, or lubricating, WD-40 can be an effective solution. Here are just a few of its uses around your home, in the garage, and everywhere else you might need to get out of a sticky situation.
SURPRISING USES FOR WD-40
- Shines the leaves on artificial plants.
- Removes crayon from walls, carpet, toys, shoes, compressed wood furniture, and even your dryer.
- Cleans garden tools and helps keep them rust-free.
- Removes ink from carpet, leather, and other fabrics.
- Protects wrought iron (like outdoor furniture) from rust.
- Cleans and polishes gold and brass.
- Helps remove adhesive from price tags, labels, and stickers.
- Removes gum stuck to walls, concrete, shoes, and floors.
- Cleans and softens paintbrushes.
- Loosens stubborn zippers.
- Keeps bugs at bay (spray on windowsills to keep spiders and bugs out).
WD-40 FOR BIKES
- Keeps dirt and mud from sticking to mountain bikes.
- Prevents saltwater oxidation.
- Prevents rust on bike scratches.
- Lubricates locks on vehicle bike racks.
WD-40 FOR CARS
- Removes tar, tree sap, and bird poop from vehicle exteriors.
- Removes car scuff marks.
- Stops squeaks on car doors.
- Keeps car locks from freezing during winter.
- Removes gunk and grease from fenders, windows, and car interiors.
- Removes bugs from cars.
- Keeps rubber car door seals soft and prevents cracking.
- Protects chrome.
- Protects corrosion-sensitive areas of the car.
- Prevents mud from sticking to undercarriages of vehicles and ATVs.
WD-40 FOR HOME
- Cleans gunk and scuff marks off ceramic floors.
- Shines and removes fingerprints from stainless steel appliances.
- Coats outside pipes during winter to help prevent freezing damage or burst pipes.
- Helps camouflage scratches in linoleum, ceramic tile, and countertops.
- Removes candle wax or glue from carpet.
- Removes glue residue from old paneling.
- Helps remove paint from tile flooring.
- Loosens rusted bolts.
- Lubricates and protects power tools.
- Unsticks piano keys.
- Keeps lawn mower wheels turning smoothly.
- Keeps snow from sticking to shovels and plows.