To paraphrase sixth-century BC Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, practical cars are not sexy, and sexy cars are not practical. An exception to this ancient wisdom is the modern Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe.
Obviously, this high-performance machine has just two seats, making it best suited to a romantic getaway. That said, you might be surprised how much luggage room the Vette has, at least compared with some of its sports car competitors. The Corvette coupe also has an above-average ride quality. Or, put another way, this American icon won’t leave you feeling beat-up by a stiff suspension at the end of the day.
Let’s be honest, though: practicality doesn't have much to do with why you’d choose a Corvette for your road trip. Rather, it’s the gutsy 455-horsepower V8 under the hood and the sharp handling that make this vehicle so desirable. In fact, it’s enough to make you consider taking the long way in your travels.
- Surprisingly easy to live with on a road trip
- Power and handling that complement its good looks
- You may not want to return it when your rental period ends.
- May be a little over-the-top for some trips
- You know you've always dreamed of driving a Corvette; here's your chance.
- NHTSA: Not yet tested
- 15/25 (6.2L V8/automatic)