Not all great road trips require that you drive long distances. That fact makes the new all-electric Ford Mustang Mach E a viable getaway vehicle.
As road-trip transportation goes, this compact crossover offers a lot to like beyond handsome styling, abundant acceleration and crisp handling reminiscent of the long-running coupe that shares its galloping pony badges. Front-seaters enjoy an enormous vertical touch screen that manages to be both beautiful to look at and a pleasure to use. In back is an adult-friendly rear seat and as much as 59.6 cubic feet of cargo room.
If there’s a downside here, it’s how far you can travel on a full “tank” of electrons. Our so-called extended-range version of the Mach E had a larger battery pack good for about 270 miles with all-wheel drive, though our real-world tests found that figure to be a trifle optimistic.
Still, the idea of hitting the road in an environmentally friendly set of wheels has definite appeal no matter where you’re headed.
- One-pedal driving (in other words,virtually ignoring the brake pedal) is possible.
- Front trunk offers additional storage.
- Ride may be too firm for some.
- With no engine sounds to mask road noise, cabin can seem noisy.
- A particularly appealing reinvention of the iconic Mustang legacy
- Base Price: $42,895
- As Tested: $56,400
- NHTSA: Overall: Not yet tested.
EPA Estimated Range
- 235 miles