Car reviewers can be a jaded lot. That’s why it’s such a pleasant surprise when one’s hard, crusty shell is cracked wide open by an automobile such as the Genesis G70.
The midsize G70 RWD 3.3T Dynamic Edition from Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis aims to take a chunk out of entry-level sports sedans from such established (and decidedly pricier) brands as BMW and Mercedes-Benz. And it’s up to that task.
The twin-turbocharged V6 under the hood offers abundant acceleration, while the Dynamic Edition G70 feels securely planted even on high-speed sweeping turns through the mountains.
The real wow factor, though, is the quality of the cabin materials, including the soft black leather upholstery with red stitching in a quilted pattern. I’ve seen cars with much higher price tags look totally underwhelming by comparison. Bottom line: If better days really are coming, this is what they very well might arrive in.STRENGTHS
- Powerful 365-hp, 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V6
- Beautifully crafted interior
- Suspension is a little too firm over bumps on surface streets.
- Speedo/tach gauges are crowded with info.
- As Hyundai’s luxury brand, Genesis is beating longer-established marques at their own upscale game.
- Base Price: $50,259
- As Tested: $51,245
- NHTSA: Not yet tested
- 18/26 (2.9L V6/automatic)