Just like your favorite baseball team, sometimes you need a solid utility player—a set of wheels that will do it all. Enter the all-new Mazda3 hatchback.
While the Mazda3 also comes as a tidy four-door sedan, it’s the hatchback that’s the star. The real draw is the spacious cargo hold that offers up a generous 20.1 cubic feet with rear seatbacks folded down. And in the passenger cabin, Mazda’s design team has stepped up its game with handsome detailing and top-quality materials.
Power comes from the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that was available as an upgrade last year and is now fitted throughout the lineup. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, but a slick six-speed manual ups the fun for true driving enthusiasts. Confident handling and precise steering only add to the responsive feel. Opt for the available all-wheel drive, and you’ll find the Mazda3 is one car that can play a variety of positions.
- One of the more fun-to-drive affordable cars around
- Available all-wheel drive is a unique option in this category.
- Hatchback’s proportions look ungainly at first but grow on you.
- Infotainment system is not intuitive.
- No one car can do it all, but the Mazda3 hatchback comes darn close.
- Base Price: $21,000
- As Tested: $31,335
27/36 (2.5L I4/automatic)