While all of Hawaii is beautiful, Kauai is a must see, a lush green jewel in the Pacific Ocean. You’ll find a destination filled with beautiful forests, stunning waters, lovely beaches and towering cliffs. With the varied and amazing scenery, Kauai has played backdrop to many movies, so as you explore you may see familiar sites!
Waimea Canyon, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, Kauai, Hawaii
Here are some of the top suggestions on how to make the most of your time in this tropical paradise:
- Explore Waimea Canyon, popularly known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.
- Enjoy up-close views of the rugged Napali Coast, with its soaring cliffs and lush valleys, by air or boat.
- For fun in the sun, visit Poipu Beach Park. Plus, if you're lucky, you may spot monk seals enjoying a day at the beach too.
- Visit the Spouting Horn blowhole. Legend says there is a lizard trapped in its confines, and if you listen carefully, you’ll hear its roar.
- Experience Hawaiian tradition and hospitality at a luau. Some of Kauai’s most popular include the Luau Makaiwa, Aulii Luau and Kalamaku Luau.
Aerial view of waterfall Manawaiopuna Falls, used in Jurassic park, Kauai, Hawaii
Additionally, you may also want to:
- Enjoy a relaxing cruise in an open-air boat along Hawaii’s Wailua River, which includes the perk of visiting the peaceful Fern Grotto.
- Plan a Na Pali Sightseeing Sunset Dinner Cruise with a spectacular 2,500-foot-high backdrop.
- Take to the skies for special views of exquisite Hanapepe Valley, “Jurassic Park Falls,” Waimea Canyon, the spectacular Na Pali cliffs and beyond. Helicopter tours offer a unique and unparalleled look at the spectacular beauty of Kauai from above.
- Find adventure and pump up your pulse rate: Kauai offers excellent hiking for all ability levels, ziplining, kayaking, off-roading and so much more. One suggestion is the Sleeping Giant Trail, one of three trails in the Nounou Mountains on Kauai's Coconut Coast. You'll love the incredible views you’ll find all along the way.
- Discover Kauai's plantation heritage at Old Koloa Town and on the Koloa Heritage Trail.
- Head for the northern tip of Kauai and visit the Kilauea Point lighthouse. Be on the lookout for humpback whales if you’re there between December and May.
- See Kauai from a different perspective, when you snorkel amid the reefs along the shoreline of Tunnels.
- Enjoy a ukulele concert at the Community Center in the town of Hanalei.
- Plan to be in Old Town Hanapepe for the Friday Night Festival and Art Walk. This is a great activity for families.
Kilauea Point Lighthouse