Everybody loves a sale. After all, who doesn’t love saving money! If you’re in the market for something special you can shop strategically and save by learning the best days to shop and when you’re most likely to find the items you want to buy at the best prices.
Mark your calendars for these major sales days:
- New Year
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
- St. Patrick's Day
- Mother's Day
- Memorial Day
- Father's Day
- Fourth of July
- Amazon Prime Day
- Tax-free Weekends
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Black Friday
- Cyber Monday
- Super Saturday
- New Year's Eve
In addition to making your calendars, it’s important to note that certain items may go on sale at certain times. Read on to discover the best times to buy the items you’re in search of.
- Winter clothes: with spring fashions around the corner, retailers are anxious to get rid of their winter clothes supply. It’s possible to receive up to 50% off winter garments.
- Linens and towels: Retailers such as Kohl's, Macy's, and Pottery Barn tend to hold “Winter Sales” on bedding and linens during January.
- TVs: Prior to the Super Bowl festivities electronics merchants tend to offer great deals on TVs.
- Tax software: Since employers send out 1099s and W-2s on January 31st, tax preparation companies like H&R Block and TurboTax begin to offer promotions for the early filers.
- Jewelry: To get a good deal on jewelry, try to purchase jewelry after Valentine’s Day.
- Ski gear: As winter comes to an end, ski retailers often start discounting their goods.
- Cruises: Since many travelers try to escape the cold months of the winter, prices tend to decrease when winter ends. Warm-weather vacations start to go on sale, or promotions are offered for on-board amenities beginning in March.
- Formalwear: Easter is a popular holiday to dress up for, so there will be plenty of sales on formal clothing. This is especially true for children’s clothes, dresses, and suits.
- Housewares: Spring cleaning themes abound at this time of year. You’ll find some of the best deals of the year on appliances, vacuums, and more.
- Candy: After Easter, the themed candy will be on sale.
- Warm-weather clothes: Stores are clearing inventory to make room for summer styles. The clearance racks will have plenty of spring items available at a discount.
- Appliances: Memorial Day is a huge promotional holiday for household appliances. You can shop for washers, dryers, and other large appliances around the holiday.
- Caribbean vacations: In anticipation of hurricane season, cruise companies and resorts in the Caribbean begin to steeply discount their prices so that they don’t make as big of a hit on tourist numbers in the fall.
- Gift cards: Father’s Day, graduation season, and other holidays encourage restaurants to give promotions on gift cards. If there is a place that you dine at often, you may want to pre-pay for your meals by buying gift card promotions.
- Technology: Prime Day happens in July, so many retailers try to keep up with the online store by discounting their items.
- Furniture: Fourth of July sales often discount furniture, so plan to outfit your living room before the holiday.
- Summer clothing: As the summer season comes to an end, retailers discount summer items to make room for fall fashions.
- School supplies: As the school year approaches, office supply stores will begin to offer promotions on notebooks and other school supplies.
- Outdoor items: Labor Day is one of the most popular holidays for barbeques, so there are plenty of discounts on outdoor furniture, grills, and more.
- Retail stock: Back-to-school promotions may be over, but you are likely to find items available on clearance racks if you’re still in need of notebooks, school clothes, or otherwise.
- Old phone models: Major phone retailers such as Apple announce their new products in September. Once October rolls around, they are giving steep discounts on their older items.
- Halloween décor: If you wait until just before the holiday to purchase decorations, you can score some spooky-good prices.
- Electronics: Black Friday has become a week-long sales extravaganza both in-store and online. Be sure to shop around for the best deals on almost anything, but especially electronics.
- Travel deals: On Cyber Monday, many travel companies offer discounts on packages, flights, and more.
- Toys: As Christmas approaches, retailers will offer discounts on common gifts including toys. Be sure to keep an eye out as flash sales are common this time of year.