Craving a savory snack from the Land Down Under? Look no further than the Chiko roll, the Australian adaptation of the Chinese spring roll or egg roll that was first sold in 1951. With a crispy outer layer and filled with ingredients like cabbage, celery, carrots, onions and some spices for good measure, this on-the-go snack is the ultimate treat for a world traveler.
- ½ pound of cooked ground beef
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 2 carrots
- A quarter of a head of cabbage
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small amount of vegetable oil for sautéing
- Egg roll wrappers
- Egg wash for sealing
- Additional vegetable oil for frying
- Grate the carrots and celery, shred the cabbage and chop the onion.
- Sauté the onions in the oil over medium heat.
- Add the beef, carrots, cabbage, celery, soy sauce and vegetable stock powder.
- Stir well and cook until vegetables are softened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add filling to egg roll wrapper and seal with the egg wash.
- Fry in vegetable oil until a golden brown.
These are delicious served with a sweet chili sauce for dipping.