Located within the InterContinental Hotel San Diego, Garibaldi is a speakeasy-style restaurant featuring amaro-style cocktails and isle-inspired Italian fare from Sardinia.
While enjoying ocean-view sunsets on the sundrenched terraza, guests can enjoy the Bird Across the Bay made with Volcan tequila, Angostura bitters, fresh pineapple, lime, and ginger beer. Being based in Southern California, riffing rum-based tiki drinks with tequila just makes sense. And the agave brings out a contrasting flavor in comparison to sugar-based rum drinks and the traditional angostura spiced bitters play nicely with the Tequila. Crafted by Director of Food and Beverage, Jeff Josenhans, the drink was inspired by the wild parrots living in San Diego, in particular in Ocean Beach across the San Diego Bay.
- 2 oz. Volcan Tequila
- 1 oz. Fresh Pineapple Juice
- .75 oz Lime Juice
- Ginger Beer
- Angostura Bitters
- “Whip” tequila/pineapple/lime (shake with small amount of crushed ice until melted, leading to a “dry” shake at the end)
- Pour into parrot/tiki mug
- Add ginger beer to top glass
- Fill with crushed ice
- Garnish with two dashes of angostura bitters