Lou Gehrig’s locker, Hank Aaron’s uniform, Tom Seaver’s cap – it’s all waiting to be discovered at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, N.Y.
Now through the end of the year, visitors are challenged to come and take on the Hall of Fame Starting Nine, a scavenger hunt that tasks you with finding nine of your favorite team’s items from the museum’s vast collection of over 40,000 baseball artifacts.
Each Starting Nine lineup was hand-curated to represent top historic moments from each of the 30 MLB teams. Here are just a few of the items from our local teams that you can find:
- Yogi Berra’s perfect game mitt, used in the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers – the only perfect game in post-season history.
- Joe DiMaggio’s retired No. 5 jersey. His was one of the first Yankees numbers to be retired.
- The Mets jersey worn by Mike Piazza on Sept. 21, 2001, in the first major league game played in New York after 9/11.
- An original “Meet the Mets” record sleeve for the team’s official song, featuring longtime mascot Mr. Met.
- The 1903 World Series final out baseball that made the Boston Red Sox, then called the Boston Americans, the first modern World Champions.
- Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz’s postseason bat from the 2013 World Series.
You can choose your team online ahead of your visit or at the museum to ensure you don’t miss out on seeing any of the items you’re most interested in.
While you explore the museum’s three floors and 50,000 feet on the hunt for your Starting Nine, you will be transported through years of remarkable baseball moments and memories from all your favorite players and teams.
As the home of baseball’s biggest stars, the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is a must-see destination for any lover of America’s pastime. Located in the heart of Cooperstown in upstate New York, it is also great for another national tradition – a weekend road trip with the family. The town looks like a Norman Rockwell painting, with shops, craft beverages and cafes to enjoy. There’s even a trolley to take you around. The trip itself is a scenic adventure, especially beautiful in the fall when colorful foliage guides the way.
The Hall of Fame Starting Nine is a fun way to get acquainted with the museum if you have never been before, and it’s the perfect excuse to visit soon. The program is only available through December 2021, so start planning your visit to Cooperstown today.