Drivers are confronted with a steady stream of distractions: vehicle navigation and entertainment systems, mobile phones, passenger conversations, eating and drinking, and more. Some distractions can’t be avoided, but most can be managed by taking steps to maintain focus while you’re driving.
- Concentrate on driving. Actively scan the road for hazards, use your mirrors, and watch out for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Never text and drive. Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for an average of five seconds. At 55 miles per hour, that’s like driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed.
- Get set before you go. Plug your destination into your GPS and adjust your seats, mirrors, music and climate control before you step on the gas.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Settle children and pets before getting underway. If they need your attention, pull off the road safely to care for them.
To help make sure you have the auto insurance coverage that’s right for you, talk with your local AAA Insurance Agent.